15 October, 2013

Two Rides Around Essex - Chris Negus 100km and a YACF Saturday Ride


All Essex rides lead to Thaxted, with its really big hill. It’s The Law. There’s even a picture of the Thaxted windmill on the front of the OS map of the area. One of these rides was no exception. The other...let’s just say, I would have rather gone to Thaxted than bloody Tilty.

These two rides covered almost exactly the same ground, just in reverse order. Almost everything else about them is reversed as well. The second ride was a great day out, good company, good food, good weather and good roads. The first one...wasn’t.

1. Audley End to Henham
The train timetable means that if I want to do one of the audaxes from ‘The ‘Uts’ (a group of cycling club houses in Essex clustered around Elsenham and Henham), I either have a long wait, or a long ride to the start. This time I chose the long ride to the start, alighting the train at Audley End and riding the six miles or so into the wind to the Shaftesbury clubhouse. This was my first mistake. Getting to the start of the ride with only five minutes to spare, I had no time for a cup of tea or a bacon roll, or even to really sort out my stuff.

2. HQ to High Roding
The usual thing happened in that within ten minutes I had lost sight of the field and was plodding along off the back of the group. This is a little dispiriting; I don’t feel I am that slow a rider, but I am slower than most on audax rides. So I was quickly on my own, but I followed the route sheet through and reached the first control – and two other riders arrived behind me! So not last after all, and I hadn’t yet taken a wrong turning. Things were looking promising.

3. High Roding to Pleshey
This was only a very short stage, through two villages. One of my tail-ender friends caught up with me again here. I stopped to eat some Haribo, and then sailed on down a lovely big hill – the right direction!

4. Pleshey to Lindsell
This is where it all started to go a bit wrong. The weather was much colder than forecast – I had chosen to wear little ankle socks and summer shoes so my feet were cold, and I started to get cramp in my toes. Usually this happens after about 40 miles so I was worried they was already doing it at mile 20. I stopped, I got off the bike, I stretched my leg muscles out – nothing worked. Every time I had to put any weight on the pedal at all, my foot seized up. I made it through Felsted past the very posh school, and limped through Stebbing into Lindsell, where I saw my friend again, studying a map. I wondered why, since he was obviously following me!

5. Lindsell to HQ via Tilty
I soon found out. He had obviously been looking for a way to avoid Tilty. Tilty of the endless hill, which I was reduced to walking up after my foot completely seized at the bottom. Tilty of the sideways rain, which soaked me in seconds and was completely unforecast – I was in totally the wrong clothes, and had already been cold. Tilty of the crows standing by the side of the road waiting for the weary cyclists to stop moving. Tilty of the swivel-eyed old man with a flat cap and a whippet muttering to himself as I crawled past. Tilty. That’s all the sign says. Just: Tilty. No ‘welcome’, no ‘please drive carefully’. Just: Tilty. I reckoned it should add: Now piss off!

6. Cake
So, I packed at the halfway point. Apparently there were quite a number of quitters, mainly because of the weather. After handing over my unfinished brevet card, I went in for a cup of tea and a bit of cake. The Shaftesbury CC do some fantastic food, which went some way to thawing me out – including the biggest chocolate muffin I have ever seen.

All this meant that I had unfinished business with The Tilty Area.

1. Audley End to Thaxted Poppy Tea Room
This ride actually started in Audley End, so already it was looking up. In addition, the weather forecast had been rubbish all week – heavy rain, high winds – but it was actually sunny, quite warm and with a light breeze. A group of ten of us set off towards Thaxted, and we all stayed together – this was a social ride. A few stiff hills here at the beginning, and we were soon at Thaxted just in time for the tea room to open and feed us cake, cream teas and cinnamon crumpets!

2. Thaxted to High Roding
This ride was almost an exact reverse of the Chris Negus ride. This direction was much more cycle-friendly! The hills we rode down seemed to outnumber the hills we rode up, which is always the right way around. The sun came out for a while. Past Pleshley with a brief stop to fix a p******e, and then slightly off-route to find the Black Lion in High Roding for lunch. This is a 14th century pub (many of the villages around this area of Essex are fairly ancient, boasting 500-600 year old buildings and pubs. I imagine the history of the names alone is very interesting) where we had some lovely baguettes and chips. Slightly depressing that we were the only customers, although the landlady said that more people would be in later. But these places, if they close, are lost forever, or turned into ‘executive dwellings’ for stockbrokers to buy (spit), which is a terrible fate!

3. High Roding to Audley End, via Henham
After lunch we got a bit faster, as it was almost 3pm and we wanted to get back in daylight, before the weather turned. The brief window of warmth had gone and it was getting colder so we powered through towards Takely where there was another p******e to fix. The roads were covered in several places by stones and washout – there had been some serious rain the day before the ride. I do have a slight dread of this happening to me on a group ride – I can fix a p******e but I can’t do it quickly!
Tyre repaired, we then made fast time back to Audley End, past the ‘Uts and through Newport, where a large deer ran across the road right in front of one of our riders, less than 10m away! A rather hairy moment. Disaster averted we got back to Audley End just in time for my train.

A much better ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment